Ok moms, I need some expert (or at least experienced) feedback. I am having a bit of a difficulty with Ella’s nap routine. Specifically, that she is resisting it entirely. I’ll try to be as organized and clear as possible here because your kid(s) are probably napping (you lucky dog) so your time is precious, and I want your feedback.
I am at my wits end, as I’m sure you have been at times if you are a mom. Without a consistent nap schedule I can not successfully plan my day or get things done that need to be done.
Ella will be one year old on January 12th. Since 7 weeks she has slept through the night and since 5 months she has been an all-star napper. She was like clockwork, even during transitions involving dropping feedings. She did have occasional growth spurts of course, but I would always know when they were over based on the fact that she went back to her normal self and nap routine after like 4-5 days.
Her normal routine was/is:
- 7:00am wake and nurse/solids, waketime
- 9:30-11:00ish nap
- 11:30 nurse/solids, waketime
- 1:30-3:00 nap
- 3:30 nurse only, waketime
- 5:30 solids, waketime, bath etc
- 7:00 or 7:30pm nurse and down for the night (sleeps all night until 7:00am)
Although she is still sleeping through the night, she is not going to sleep anymore in her bed for her naps. When we put her down for a nap she either sits up in her crib and begins to play, or (when she is truly tired) she cries and cries, does not eventually fall asleep like she used to. Sometimes she is in her bed an hour and doesn’t sleep at all. This has been going on since around mid november when we went to Seattle for a weekend and then immediately had family in town for a week. Obviously her schedule was disrupted during that time, but in the past she’s always recovered well after a few days.
What I know:
- I know this will not last forever, kids go through phases, etc.
- I know that God uses parenting to teach us we don’t have control 🙂
- I know ultimately I am still in charge as the parent and I have to decide how to handle the situation and go with it.
- I know it is more important that she is sleeping through the night, and I am definitely thankful for that.
- Is it possible that Ella is truly ready to drop her morning nap entirely? I am ready for that day if its here, I just think it seem super early. Don’t most kids drop their morning nap around 14-18 months? I tried this yesterday, and she was able to stay awake even through lunch. Then when I put her down at 1:15 for an afternoon nap she wouldn’t go to sleep! Played and then cried the entire time!
- Is it that she still needs both naps but is over-tired and/or fatigued? If so, how the heck do I fix it? It has been weeks and we have tried to get her back on schedule and its just not happening. Granted she was sick (ear infection/congestion) for about 10 days up until a week ago, but even since she’s gotten over her sickness she has not regained her routine.
I think we will continue to see how she does with no morning nap for the next 4 or 5 days, and if she starts going to sleep in the afternoon ok then I guess I’ll have my answer. But I would love your opinion/experience. Has anyone had this problem? Did any of your kids successfully drop their morning nap at 12 months?
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you!